South Dakota Technology Business Center


Local, State and Federal Requirements

To give your business the best opportunity for success, make sure you do what is necessary to comply with all local, state and federal regulations for business operation. Many resources are available at the South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development at Other resources providing general assistance for start-up businesses are available at, and

Registering Your Business

In South Dakota, sole proprietorships and partnerships should register their trade names with their county register of deeds. The Minnehaha County Register of Deeds is located in the Administration Building, 415 Dakota Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104. (605) 367-4223. The Lincoln County Register of Deeds is located at 123 N Main, Canton, SD 57013 (605) 764-5661.

Limited partnerships and corporations must register and initiate the business formation process with the South Dakota Secretary of State’s Office. For information and business forms, contact the Secretary of State’s Corporation Office at (605) 773-4845. To file online with the Secretary of State’s Corporation Office visit the following

State and Federal Tax IDs

If your business will have a location any where in South Dakota to sell, rent or lease products or services you will need to obtain a South Dakota State Tax License for each location from the SD Department of Revenue, Business Tax Division, Anderson Building, Pierre, SD 57501 (800) TAX-9188.

If your business will be hiring employees or pay Federal Excise Tax, you must obtain a Federal Employer’s Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service at 1720 Southeastern Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57103, (605) 330-4539, (800) 829-1040 or (800) 829-3676 for a Business Tax Kit. All new employees must be reported to the SD Department of Labor within 20 calendar days after the date of hire. Mail completed W-4 forms to SD Department of Labor, New Hire Reporting, P.O. Box 4730, Aberdeen SD 57402, (888) 827-6078 or (605) 626-2942.

Licenses and Zoning

Many specific types of businesses also need to have additional special local licenses or permits to operate. These include but are not limited to food, liquor, taxi, pawn shops, vending, etc. For additional, more specific licensing requirements in Sioux Falls, check with the Sioux Falls City Finance Office at City Hall, 224 W 9th Street, Sioux Falls, SD (605) 367-8860 or the Minnehaha County Auditor at the Courthouse, 415 N. Dakota Avenue, Sioux Falls SD 57104 (605) 367-4220, , if outside of city limits.

In addition to licenses to operate, inspections of businesses are often required prior to operating. If food products are to be prepared and sold, check with the State Department of Health for a food license. The Sioux Falls Health Department is located at 521 N. Main Avenue, Suite 101, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, (605) 367-8760, The State Department of Health is at 817 West Russell, Suite 202, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, (605) 367-5363 or (605) 773-3737,

You are also responsible for determining that the location of your business is permitted in the zoning code. This includes conducting business out of your home. Be sure to allow ample lead time to resolve zoning concerns, as this can take several months. Zoning questions within the city limits of Sioux Falls can be directed to Sioux Falls Zoning Department, City Hall, 224 West 9th Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57104 (605) 8254, . Zoning questions outside of Sioux Falls but in Minnehaha County should be directed to Minnehaha Zoning Office at the Courthouse, 415 N. Dakota Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, (605) 367-4202,

Building inspections for structural, electrical, plumbing, fire and other codes are handled by the Sioux Falls Building Inspection Office at City Hall, 224 West 9th Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57104 (605) 367-8670 and by the Minnehaha County Building Inspector at the Courthouse, 415 N. Dakota Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, (605) 367-4204.